As early as 1850, Merano was one of the first and leading tourist destinations of the Habsburg Monarchy, hosting numerous prominent guests. The fact that even Empress Sissi stayed here several times made Merano the first choice for nobles, politicians, and artists. Soon, the cityscape was dominated by the luxurious hotels and villas of the Belle Époque, and the famous promenades and spa park were created.
Only a venue for social events and gatherings was still missing, so plans were made to build a spa house according to the designs of architect Josef Czerny. In November 1874, this spa house, which corresponds to the current west wing of the complex, was ceremoniously opened. Around 1900, it was expanded with a terrace and former reading rooms, and the gas lighting was replaced by electric light. Next door, the city theater was built, which had its own ensemble until the First World War.
However, the constantly growing spa business required an even larger and more representative building. The renowned Viennese architect Friedrich Ohmann was commissioned to redesign and expand the complex in 1911. Ohmann, who had already designed the Palm House in the Vienna Burggarten, the development of the Vienna River in the Stadtpark, and the Hotel Central in Prague, designed the grand Kursaal and the rotunda, giving Merano perhaps the most beautiful Art Nouveau building in the Alpine region. The magnificent ceiling paintings in the Kursaal were created by Rudolf Jettmar, a founding member of the Vienna Secession, as well as by Alexander Rothaug and Horazio Gaigher. Ohmann's original plans even envisioned an even larger structure, but the outbreak of the First World War prevented any further work. The Merano spa house was ceremoniously opened on New Year's Eve 1914.




How do you like the content of this page?
notice






More info…